Between dreams and reality exist whole dimensions.

Posts tagged “alcohol

Mead Label

I realized that I never posted a picture of my labels for the Christmas Mead I made. A friend and I finished off his bottle last week and I snapped a picture of it to show off. I think they came out quite nicely, which I can mostly attribute to my wife’s excellent label making skills. I have no idea who owns the raven image I used, but since this is not commercial I’m not too worried. Though I would be interested to know since I am very fond of it. Anyway, that’s all for this post, just thought some of you might be interested.

image

Advertisements

Brewing and Bottling

Sunday was a big day.

image

First I bottled my batch of Christmas Metheglin: 8 bottles total. I tried some before bottling; it’s very dry, with a spicy aroma and a bit of bite in the flavor. It seems to be pretty high gravity; but my hydrometer broke so I can’t be certain.

image

Next we brewed up a fresh batch of rootbeer. This time we just used some extract and a little (seriously, like 1 TSP per gallon) molasses, plus a lot of sugar. Our first batch with the actual roots we used an ale yeast, which has a lower alcohol tolerance and consumes the sugar more slowly. This time we used a champagne yeast which will pressurize it quickly, since we’ll be bottling right away.

image

image

We got thirteen standard beer bottles of root beer, and two larger hinge-cork bottles. The bottle capper is a lot of fun for some reason. We don’t have labels yet, but we might get some printed up later this week, not certain about that yet.

image

After the rootbeer was boiled, cooled, and bottled, I started a new (smaller) batch of Mead. This will be a plain Mead, no spices or anything but honey. I used a little higher honey to water ratio, and the ale yeast instead of champagne yeast so this batch should be sweeter than the Metheglin, and without that bite. I also didn’t use a yeast nutrient, which supposedly can affect the flavor a bit, but instead used some of the yeast sediment from the Metheglin batch as a nutrient starter.

image

Only a gallon for this batch, but I think that in a month or two when I rerack this to a different carboy I’ll start another 2 gallon batch, and soon I’ll have Mead for all occasions, year round!