Between dreams and reality exist whole dimensions.

Photography

Gallery

The Strange Beauty of Winter


More Pistols

Forgot to post my wife’s Steampunk(ish) Pistol when she finished! Oops! Here it is:

image

To get the LEDs working the way she wanted, she had to open it up, and install the LEDs, battery and switch.

 

image

The glow looks more impressive when you’re actually in the dark with it.

image

A comparison with my pistol. Hers is on the left. I like the coppery tone quite a bit.

image

She insisted I include a pic of the button on the bottom of the handle. ūüôā


Steampunk Pistol

My wife and I have had 2 Nerf Maverick pistols for a while now, and they are a lot of fun. They have an awesome design, but they look ridiculous in the neon Nerf colors.

So, we decided they could do with some modifications. A little time with a dremel to sand off the logos and lettering, some metallic paints and PVC, and voila.¬† I decided to go with a Steampunk aesthetic (which is apparently quite popular for these guns), and she’s aiming a little more future-sci-fi.

image

image

I finished mine pretty quickly, a few hours tops. But she’s doing some internal modding with LEDs and such. I promise to post as soon as she’s finished. In the mean time…. I’m going to go play with my awesome new dart gun!

 


A Sight to be Seen

I just wanted to share with you all something I saw on my way to work that really made my day. Click on any of the pics to get an enlarged slideshow view.


Mead Label

I realized that I never posted a picture of my labels for the Christmas Mead I made. A friend and I finished off his bottle last week and I snapped a picture of it to show off. I think they came out quite nicely, which I can mostly attribute to my wife’s excellent label making skills. I have no idea who owns the raven image I used, but since this is not commercial I’m not too worried. Though I would be interested to know since I am very fond of it. Anyway, that’s all for this post, just thought some of you might be interested.

image


Brewing and Bottling

Sunday was a big day.

image

First I bottled my batch of Christmas Metheglin: 8 bottles total. I tried some before bottling; it’s very dry, with a spicy aroma and a bit of bite in the flavor. It seems to be pretty high gravity; but my hydrometer broke so I can’t be certain.

image

Next we brewed up a fresh batch of rootbeer. This time we just used some extract and a little (seriously, like 1 TSP per gallon)¬†molasses, plus a lot of sugar. Our first batch with the actual roots we used an ale yeast, which has a lower alcohol tolerance and consumes the sugar more slowly. This time we used a champagne yeast which will pressurize it quickly, since we’ll be bottling right away.

image

image

We got thirteen standard beer bottles of root beer, and two larger hinge-cork bottles. The bottle capper is a lot of fun for some reason. We don’t have labels yet, but we might get some printed up later this week, not certain about that yet.

image

After the rootbeer¬†was boiled, cooled, and bottled, I started a new (smaller)¬†batch of Mead. This will be a plain Mead, no spices or anything but honey. I used a little higher honey to water ratio, and the ale yeast instead of champagne yeast¬†so this batch should be sweeter than the Metheglin, and without that bite. I also didn’t use a yeast nutrient, which supposedly can affect¬†the flavor a bit, but instead used some of the yeast sediment from the Metheglin batch as a nutrient starter.

image

Only a gallon for this batch, but I think that in a month or two when I rerack¬†this to a different carboy I’ll start another 2 gallon batch, and soon I’ll have Mead for all occasions, year round!


Dragon’s almost done!

image

image


Behold!

Ok, so I’ve been slacking on posting anything. It’s getting towards the end of the semester, and work is killing me until I finish transitioning to a new client, so the slacking will probably continue till early December. But for now I thought I’d update you all on my next metal project. Behold:

image

The top half still needs teeth, but is almost done.

 

image

The bottom is pretty much done, just needs 2 more teeth. Incidentally, those teeth are hand forged, which is a serious pain in the ass. But I think it'll pay off once it's all put together.


Teaser

image

image

Here’s a quick look at my next project. I’m not gonna say what it is yet, but in a day or two it should be pretty obvious.


Steel Rose

I finished my assigned project: the Steel Rose. This is the entire process I went through to make it. Took me about 1 week of class (5 hours or so). Because this is long with a lot of pictures I am going to us a little different format, with less writing.  Without further ado here you are:

First it's back to the trusty plasma-cutter to cut the petals.


image

And now we have 4 pieces to be bent into petals, and 1 for that little green bit roses have on the bottom.

image

As you can see the cutting process leaves a big bur on the steel, and doesn't eliminate the rust, so we grind them down nicely.

(more…)